It’s hard to protect your home from professional thieves; however, most home burglaries are performed by amateurs. These are the thieves that are more easily frustrated if you make use of some of these simple home security precautions:
- Burglarize your own home. By doing this, you will be able to see weaknesses in your security system. To find out if you can pick your own locks, check out this quiz.
- Lock up your home, even if you go out for a short amount of time. You would be surprised at the number of burglars who just ‘walk in’ through an unlocked window or door.
- Change all locks when moving to a new home; offers this service at a reasonable rate.
- If you lose your keys, change the locks IMMEDIATELY.
- Make your home look occupied, even if you aren’t there. This can be done by using timers to switch lights and radios on and off when you are not able to be home.
- A spring-latch is easy for burglars who are ‘loiding’ experts. Loiding is the method of slipping a plastic credit card against the latch tongue to depress it and unlock the door. A deadbolt defies this act.
- Before EVER handing over your keys to a professional housecleaner, contractor, etc., make sure you have checked this person to insure that he or she is honest and reputable. Check all references THOROUGHLY. Check this person through the Better Business Bureau.
- Do not leave notes on your door for family members or service people; this is a warm welcome for unscrupulous people.
- Make sure your porch, garage, driveway, and yard are well lit; light deters burglars. Chances are, if there is light enough to for the burglar to be seen, they will move on to another house.
- If anyone shows up at your house such as the electric meter reader, a repairman or a sales person, ASK for identification BEFORE opening the door completely.
- If someone comes to your door and asks to use the phone to call a mechanic, tow truck, or the police, keep the door locked and make the call yourself; if it is really someone in need of emergency assistance, they will appreciate ANY help you can offer.
For all of yourcall A-1 Locksmith at (972) 284-7500 for the call center or for Emergency service, call (972) 284-7516. A-1 Locksmith offers competitive pricing and years of experience and is a name you CAN trust.