Frisco Lock Rekey: How We Duplicate Keys
We’re often asked how we do what we do. How is a home lock repaired? How do you open a car door if the keys are inside? What is the meaning of life? OK, maybe not that last one, but we do receive our fair share of locksmithing-related questions.
One of those common questions comes from our Frisco customers. Specifically, how does a lock rekey work? Let’s take a look at why rekeying services are needed, what the process looks like and how to find the best Frisco lock rekeying company.
Why Rekey In Frisco?
Homeowners in Frisco choose to rekey their houses for a variety of reasons. It could be because they’re worried about someone still having a key to their property (such as a home builder or previous owner). Or, it could be because all existing keys were lost. Locks can also break. Either way, rekeying is a more cost-effective way to secure your Frisco property than replacing all your door hardware and locks.
Our Rekeying Process
As for the process, Frisco lock rekeys and duplications usually involve a cutter and a duplicator. The latter can be a manual duplicator (like the one we use) or an automatic duplicator. But it starts with a rekeying of the locks. Here’s a basic step-by-step look at how we rekey and duplicate keys at A-1 Locksmith Frisco:
- We remove the doorknob or lock from the door.
- We disassemble the cylinder and remove the plugs.
- We install new plugs, reassemble the cylinder and place it back in the door.
- We add a newly created key (that fits the new lock) and a blank key to the duplicator.
- The guide reads the cut key while the blank key is aligned with the cutter.
- Using a back-and-forth motion, we duplicate the key.
- After the key is duplicated, we buff it to finalize it.
- We repeat as necessary, depending on the number of locks and new keys that need to be created.
If you’re a visual learner, our Frisco team even created a video that shows the duplication part of this process. Watch it here:
How to Find the Best Frisco Lock Rekey Company
A-1 Locksmith has locations across the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex and our Frisco team is more than happy to serve you with lock rekeying and other services. We rekey hundreds of locks per week and our team is highly experienced and specialized in all aspects of locksmithing. We can even advise you on whether rekeying or replacing your locks is your best option. Or, if you just need keys duplicated, we can help with that as well.
For the best lock rekeying and duplicating services in Frisco, give the A-1 Locksmith team a call today at (972) 284-7500.
Back to Blog