Should You Choose Between a Safe or Security System?
Touring homes for sale is always an interesting experience. You get to see different layouts, check out different communities/areas and find out what upgrades the seller made to the home. Sometimes, these are good… other times, it’s difficult to tell what the owner was thinking.
Take security upgrades, for example.
If your home has a security system, do you really need a safe? What about the opposite scenario? Isn’t only one of these options good enough? Let’s take a look at which security option is better for you, or if investing in both is the best decision.
Advantages of a Safe
Home safes are ideal for keeping valuable belongings secured. At the top of the list are firearms, ammunition, jewelry, cash and important documents. While a security system will alert you to suspicious activity, it won’t do much for physically protecting your most important belongings. Here are some of the other security advantages a safe provides:
- Portability: A safe can be delivered and installed in the location of your choice
- Flexibility: bolt down the safe to the floor or wall, or leave it freestanding.
- Variety: There are a wide variety of safe sizes and features available today.
- Superiority: When it comes to protecting belongings in a fire, flood or burglary attempt, nothing provides safety and security like a safe (especially with the right safe rating).
Advantages of a Security System
Security systems don’t physically protect belongings, but they do give you awareness and an extra layer of support in the form of a monitoring company. Using your preferred settings and features, you can set up your home security in a way that gives you superior peace of mind—both at home and on the road. Here are some of the other security advantages a security system provides:
- Visibility: you can install cameras and point them anywhere you’d like.
- Safety: A team of professionals will be ready to alert the authorities should something suspicious happen and trigger an alarm on your property.
- Affordability: Many security systems are more affordable than large or advanced home safes and there are different levels of systems for different budgets.
Benefits of Both
Of course, as a professional security company, we’ll recommend that you invest in both a safe and a security system, if your budget allows. This isn’t just bias; you’ll be able to keep your most precious and valuable items locked away in a well-rated safe while keeping the rest of your home monitored and ready to alert you (or the team monitoring your system). A consultation with a professional locksmith is all you need to determine what your situation requires, and they’ll be happy to recommend certain models, brands or systems.
If you’re in need of a new safe or security system, contact the team at A-1 Locksmith today, or visit any of our DFW-area locations.Back to Blog